- It's 12:38 a.m and your bedside drink of choice is Diet Coke. Caffeinated. Duh.
- You just misspelled "caffeinated" three times before authorizing autocorrect to do its thang.
- You just said "thang."
- Your iPhone looks like this...I use it too much, I tell you! (No, not really. Freak accident.)
- You feel like coloring. Except you have no crayons at your disposal. Homework = 1; Procrastination = 0.
- There are 2 (not 1, but 2) Justin Timberlake songs on your iPod. Don't judge! He's popular again. Either that, or the world is ending. Lol.
- You notice yourself adding cute, short, text-message lingo to the endings of all your sentences. Whether they need it or not. Which they don't. You also know that in the career-world this lingo is discouraged and you should probably stop. ASAP. (Or not.)
|About that upgrade...?|
- Even though you're currently taking an online editing class, you still don't completely grasp HTML and are befuddled by how to get that 1 over there at the start of this sentence to go back to a 4.
- You try and participate in school-related group activities, but find yourself bulking at the last minute before you've entered the no-return world of full-on commitment and commencement.
- Yes, I did just clutter that sentence with a bunch of compound verbs and alliterations. Thanks for noticing!
- You go grocery shopping at 10:16 p.m. Because you can.
- One of your teachers has a severe axe to grind with students not coming to class (8 a.m. that it is), and starts accusing people of "playing at home." Whatever that means. Unless playing means sleeping. Then, yeah...accusation upheld. (Did I mention it's a media law class?)
- Another one of your teachers answers a student's question with a shrug and an "I don't know." You shrug and sigh and roll your eyes and start wondering what's wrong with our education system?? Where a professor at a nationally-recognized geology school cannot answer a simple question on the Coriolis effect?! Then you see that the girl in front of you is perusing her Pinterest account. Q & A session fail? Say whaattt??
- You're all caught up on your 3 favorite TV shows, but still have homework for 3 of your classes. Funny how that figures.
- You miss your family. And your house. And the washer and dryer that complete the domestic trinity.
You would give anything to be here...
But then you see this... every. single. day.
And you remember why you're here in the first place...
Because this is your start. This is you tiptoeing to the edge of the diving board and looking into the deep end of the pool. You're anxious about making the jump. Your equal parts nervous and excited.
To quote Taylor Swift, this is the moment where you get to be "happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time."
"It's miserable and magical," she sympathizes in the proceeding lyric. And I couldn't agree more. Although, being the optimist that I am, I try to maintain focus on the latter. The magical-ness.
Lastly, you know you're a college student when you're listening to a Taylor Swift song titled "22" and you just turned 22.
I feel in some unofficially-official way like I've made it in this life. Like, totally.